National Adoption Awareness month is upon us! Orphan Sunday is on November 4th and November 16th is National Adoption Day, in Washington (November 17th in other states). I would love to hear the things you are planning to highlight adoption. It is not too late to organize something. There are several easy things you can do all month long to bring awareness of the orphan throughout the world.
- Invite a family who is in the process of adoption or has adopted to speak(I have families who are open to speaking at your church as well.
- Fundraise for an orphanage across seas.
- Find out what needs Sally’s house (affiliated with Salvation Army) has this upcoming Christmas season.
Collect items for families so they can get foster licensed
- In 2011 1,676 children were adopted from foster care through DSHS Children's Administration
- On national adoption day 2011, 168 children found forever families on this one day!
- Last year there were 1,574 (466 in the greater Spokane area) Washington children waiting to be adopted.
- There are roughly 900 foster children on any given day in Spokane County
- Approximately 9,800 children in the Washington foster care system
- Approximately 400 children turned 18 and never found a permanent adoptive home.
- Approximately 400,000 children in foster care in the US
- Approximately 100,000 children waiting to be adopted in the US
- 143 million orphans world wide
- 87.6 orphans in Asia